Sunday 16 September 2012

Caravan of Thieves by David Rich

"My father didn't teach me much except how to lie, cheat, and steal, and then lie, lie, lie some more."

Do you think this skill will come in handy to Roland Waters as an undercover Marine in Afghanistan and now as a man in search of a huge treasure? Dan Waters, the con artist, lived by the philosophy that he never had anything he didn't steal. He had successfully stolen a body bag with 25 million dollars from the last days of Saddam's Iraq from McColl and his gang. Back home from Afghanistan, Colonel Gladden wants Rollie to look for his father Dan and the body bag. Treasury man Steve Shaw, and Gladden's men accompany Rollie on his search. Soon McColl and his men follow. There is a caravan of thieves looking for the treasure one trying to outsmart another much like the Caravan of thieves in Afghanistan- everyone suspecting everyone.

Will Rollie find his dad and the treasure? What happened in Afghanistan? Rollie narrates the story alternating between what happened in Afghanistan and his present treasure hunt. Will Rollie outwit the caravan of thieves? Who is behind McColl and his gang?

There are some points to ponder, some pearls of wisdom and some really funny stuff. After a point, I was wondering why Rollie is doing what he is doing, revenge does not feel like enough motivation. But Rollie has an answer!

"I don't know why any of us, including me, did what they did."

It is not like the usual crime fiction I read. Nevertheless, a funny adventure and treasure hunt.

DISCLAIMER: I received an ebook ARC copy from the publisher for review. I was not compensated for my opinion or this post.

No comments: