Thursday 9 August 2012

Leave the Grave Green by Deborah Crombie

Lord Asherton and Dame Caroline's son-in-law, Connor Swann is found dead in River Thames. Lord Asherton and Dame Caroline are renowned opera singers. Presumably upon Asherton's request Duncan Kincaid and Gemma are asked to investigate the case. Was Swann murdered? Was his death accidental? Did he commit suicide?

This is the third book in the Gemma and Kincaid series. I haven't read the first two books. The story starts with the death of young Mathew, son of Lord Asherton and Dame Caroline in the River Thames. The shadow of the event haunts the present case too. Was Mathew murdered? Or was it a accident? Is there a connection between both the cases?

I hear a lot about Deborah Crombie and wanted to pick a book to see if it works for me. I would just say it is a good mystery. There are details about lives of artists, Opera Singers, costume designers and the stage. One of the reasons I couldn't really get involved in the story was because of all the use of the best police, Swann's death could have been accident. I had the same problem with P D James' The Black Tower. I read these books around the same time. Maybe I should stop plunging in middle of a series, then probably I would enjoy more.

Why don't people answer the questions police ask? Okay, these people are celebrities but when the police are asking simple questions like what you were doing at a particular time, doesn't it make sense to establish an alibi rather than beat about a bush or talking something irrelevant? I suppose they are celebrities and they can get away with it.

There are some unexpected twists, and turns. Pool of suspects is really small and you can work out who long before, Kincaid and Gemma work it out. I should try another Deborah Crombie to really decide whether I want to read her books or not.

My post for Crime Fiction Alphabet L.

3 comments:

Peggy Ann said...

I have not read Crombie. I've looked at them several times and decided to pass. Guess it's a good thing I did! I do like the title though.

Anonymous said...

I really like Deborah Crombie's work, although I agree with you that working out the truth in this novel isn't that difficult. I think I like the series most for its character development actually. I admit I am biased towards this series but I recommend you start with the first one and see how you feel after the groundwork for the characters is laid.

JudyH329 said...

I haven't read any of Deborah Crombie's work. I'll give her a try. Thanks for the review. Have you read any of Elizabeth George's books? I feel about the way you do about Deborah Crombie. I'm not sure what bothers me about her writing, I do know it does stop me from reading more of her books.