Monday 27 August 2012

Crime Fiction Alphabet letter O

This is my post for Crime Fiction Alphabet letter O.

The Great Impersonation by E Philips Oppenheim published in 1920 deals with doubles, impersonation, espionage, spooky ghosts, a deranged woman, and a woman mad in love.
British citizen Everard Dominey chances upon German Leopold Von Ragastein in German East Africa. Dominey and Ragastein look alike. After a night of drinking and confessing about their respective exiles, Ragastein murders Dominey and takes his place in English Society spying for Germany. Will he make people believe that he is Dominey? Immediately after reaching London he chances upon Princess Eiderstorm, his former lover, who is bent on causing trouble for him. Will Leopold be successful in his mission?

I was getting more excited at the story that is not being told than the one that is told. I can't say much. I did figure out what was happening that was the reason for the excitement. There is a ghost story for the side which is spooky.

What makes some mysteries, where you figure out everything great and others disappointing? I loved this one!

9 comments:

BooksPlease said...

I think that it's the ease with which you can work out the mystery that makes it great or disappointing. If you have to think about it before you work it out that is much more satisfying than seeing it straight away - that would be too easy.

My letter O is an author from the early 20th century too - Crime Fiction Alphabet: Letter O.

srivalli said...

Oh yes! Some work for the grey cells make it satisfying! Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

For me, I don't mind if they spoil the mystery if they have a great narrative, characters and plot. This sounds like one of those books.

Peggy Ann said...

Sounds wonderful and I just downloaded a free digital copy from project gutenberg! Thanks for highlighting this book this week!

srivalli said...

@ Clarrisa very few authors have pulled off this trick for me! Agatha Christie is the only one who make feel smug at finding the murderer before the end! Most of the others have disappointed me!
@ Peggy would love to know your thoughts on reading this book! Hope you enjoy it too!

Bev Hankins said...

I have yet to read an Oppenheim book....but that's on my To Do list. Glad you enjoyed it! I agree that it's okay to figure out the mystery as long as it takes some work. What I like best is if I figure it out "just" before the detective does....

Here's my Letter O.

Anonymous said...

I'm quite fond of mysteries such as this one where there is an issue of identity. And I agree with Margaret; it's much more satisfying to be able to work out a mystery you can't solve right away than it is to figure it all out quickly.

Scott said...

Another ancient mystery :)

TracyK said...

I have been wanting to find a copy of this book, mainly because it is an espionage book. Good to get you take on it.