Wednesday 30 November 2011

Colour Scheme by Ngaio Marsh

I haven't heard about Ngaio Marsh before joining the Vintage Mystery Challenge. I wanted to read some of the authors I have never read before for this challenge. So I picked this book up.
The action takes place in a Thermal Spa in New Zealand. And the action doesn't begin until almost the last quarter of the book. Marsh takes her time setting up the place, giving glimpses into her characters and finally delivers. Colour Scheme has really colourful characters Dr.Ackrington, Questing, Bert Smith, Colonel Claire, Mrs.Claire, Barbara Claire, Eru Saul, Gaunt and Dikon Bell. The characters are Wodehousian. Dr. Arckington's recommendation to Gaunt's doctor is the funniest recommendation I have ever read. Gaunt wanting to stay in the place after the recommendation is incredible. There is a nice love story.
The characters and final denouement reminded me of Agatha Christie. Pointing fingers in the climax is very funny.
Only, wish the murder took place in the first few pages and not the last few. At one point, the story was exciting, so was there a murder? If there was a murder, who was murdered? Who murdered? There was lots of possibility but it sizzles down on expected lines. There were still a few surprises in the end.

1 comment:

Bev Hankins said...

Congratulations! So glad you enjoyed the vintage mysteries. Would love to have you join us for another round (with a slight twist) in 2012! The button on the left hand side of my blog will take you to the info/signup post.

But...more importantly...now that you've completed your challenge, you're eligible to collect a prize. If you'd send me an email at phryne1969 AT gmail DOT com, I'll send you a list of possible prizes.